History of Varanasi
Varanasi is considered to be the most ancient spiritual city in India and one of the oldest inhabited cities in the world.
Varanasi is the best city for places to visit in Varanasi for couples.
Tourism in Varanasi is considered to be one of the best touristry in up. According to the beliefs, this city situated on the trident of the god Shiva was established by god Shiva 5000 years ago. Its description is found in many Hindu texts.
Varanasi is known as the city of temples and ghats. It is the city with the highest no of ghats in the world.
It’s considered one of the holiest cities in Hinduism and is considered sacred in Buddhism and Jainism. Gautam buddha gave his first sermon here.
It is known as Banaras and Kashi is situated on the bank of the holy river Ganges, this city attracts a lot not only Indian but also foreign tourists.
If you talk about tourism in Varanasi then go there places and feel the sanctity there.
Assi Ghat, Ravidas Park, Dashswamedh Ghat, the BHU campus, and Madhuban park are the best places to visit in Varanasi for couples.
Read more :- Best 7 picnic spot near Varanasi 2023
Best places in Varanasi for couples
1. Kashi Vishwanath Temple
Talking about the major temples of Varanasi, the first name is Kashi Viswanath temple.
one of the 12 Jyotirlingas of lord shiva established here. If you come to travel to Varanasi then you should start your day from here. By visiting here, the soul feels pure and peaceful.
If we throw light on the history of this temple, it was broken and built many times.
This temple was renovated by maharani Ahilya bai of Indore in 1770-80.
Ahilya bai Holker built the Viswanath temple in this complex on which Maharaja Ranjit Singh of Punjab built a golden pot, maharani Baija bai of Gwalior built the Gyanwapi pavilion and maharaja Nepal installed a huge Nandi statue
- 3:00 AM to 4:00 AM
- 11:15 AM to 12:20 PM
- 7:00 PM to 8:15 PM
- 9:00 PM to 10:15 PM
Night Shringar/Bhog Aarti
- 10:30 PM to 11:00 PM
Night shayan Aarti
2. Dasaswamedh Ghat
Dasaswamegh ghat is one of the primary and ancient ghats of Banaras.
It is believed that a person who takes a bath at this ghat and visits the Kashi Visvanath temple, all his sins are cut away and he attains salvation.
The main attraction of this ghat is the Ganga Arti in the evening which is visited by thousands of devotees and tourists every day.
summer :- 7 PM to 7:45 PM
Winter :- 6 PM to 6:45 PM
3. Assi Ghat
Assi ghat is situated at the confluence of the Assi river and The Ganga river. This ghat is very popular for tourism in Varanasi.
Assi Ghat is the best places to visit in Varanasi for couples.
Due to its location at the confluence of the two rivers it got the name Assi ghat. Assi ghat was built by Maharaja Banaras in the 19th century.
Tulsidas composed the famous Hindu text “Ramcharitmanas” on this ghat.
This is the last ghat located south of Banaras and this ghat is the center attraction from the point of view of the faith and tourism of the devotees.
Assi ghat is believed to be the place where the greatest poet Tulsidas died.
Here you can enjoy the Ganga Aarti and boating. If you are planning to travel to Banaras, then spend some time at Assi ghat.
Places to visit in Varanasi with Family
4. Durga Temple
Durga Mandir located in Durgakund is one of the ancient major temples of Kashi.
It is believed that Maa Durga had rested in this temple after killing the demons named Sumbha-Nishumbha.
It is a very important temple for devotees and tourism in Varanasi.
Maa Durga is seated in the form of a yantra in this temple.
The idols of Baba Bhaironath, Goddess Lakshmi, Maa Saraswati, and Mahakali are established in this temple.
There is a pool on one side of the very grand temple made of red stones, whose water does not dry up.
Worshiping Adishakti Maa Durga, all sins are burnt to ashes. In the month of Navratri and Sawan, the crowd of devotees increases a lot.
A fair is organized here in the month of Sawan, which is very popular among the residents here.
If you are thinking of traveling to Varanasi then definitely come here.
5. Sankatmochan Temple
This temple is one of the major holy temples of Varanasi.
Sankatmochan means the remover of troubles or sorrows. In this temple, Hanuman Ji had given darshan to Ram devotee Goswami Tulsidas.
An amazing feature of this temple is that the idol of Lord Hanuman is displaced in such a way that he is looking at Lord Rama.
The model of Shri Ram Lalla is sitting in the right direction of the heart of the icon of Sankatmochan Hanuman Ji.
The specialty of the idol of Lord Hanuman is that the idol is made of clay.
There is an ancient well in the courtyard of this temple. Madan Mohan Malviya built this temple in 1900 AD.
6. Ramnagar Fort
Ramnagar Fort is located in Ramnagar of Varanasi. It is situated opposite Tulsi Ghat on the eastern bank of the river Ganges.
It was built in the Mughal style in 1750 AD by Naresh Balwant Singh from Chunar sandstone.
Ramnagar Fort has a temple and a museum on the grounds.
There is a big clock on the huge walls of Ramnagar Fort.
This clock not only displays the year, month, week, and day, but also gives astronomical facts about the constellations of the Sun, Moon, and stars.
Those who come from the point of view of tourism in Varanasi definitely come to visit Ramnagar Fort.
It is located 14 km from Varanasi Cantt Station and 2 km from Banaras Hindu University.
Sarnath is a major Buddhist and Hindu Pilgrimage center located 10 km northeast of Cantt station.
After attaining enlightenment, Lord Gautam Buddha gave his first sermon here, which is known as “Dharmachakra Pravartan”. which was the beginning of the propagation of Buddhism.
In Sarnath, you will get a chance to learn more about Lord Buddha.
Popular places of interest in Sarnath include Chaukhandi Stupa, Ashoka Asthamba, Dhamekh Stupa, Archaeological Museum, the Thai Temple, and Monastery.
8. Namo Ghat
Namō Ghat is one of the most important ghats in the holy city of Varanasi, India.
Located on the banks of the Ganges River, it is a popular spot for pilgrims to take a dip in the sacred waters as part of their pilgrimage to Varanasi.
The ghat is also well-known for its stunning sunrises, which attract photographers from all over the world.
Namō Ghat is surrounded by temples, shrines and other religious structures, making it a great place to explore and experience the spiritual atmosphere of Varanasi.
Best couple park in Varanasi
9. Madhuban Park
This park is very good for couples, no entry fee is charged here.
Madhuban park is good places to visit in Varanasi for couples.
This park is open from 6 am to 5 pm. Many people come to this park for walking, yoga, and exercise in the morning.
This park can be a good option for couples as there are fast food shops and coffee shops inside the park.
This park located inside the Bhu campus attracts couples, if you want to visit then definitely go and enjoy.
10. Ravidas Park
This park is very famous for couples in Varanasi.
The park is located near Assi Ghat and charges a ticket fee of Rs 20 for entry.
Raviadas Park is the Best places to visit in Varanasi for couples.
There is a good arrangement of parking here, you can enjoy this park from 8 am to 8 pm, it is a very good park for couples.
This park built on the banks of Ravidas Ghat is very beautiful and this park has been specially made for couples, although the family can go there.
If couples want to roam, then definitely experience here once, every moment spent here will be wonderful.
Places to visit in Varanasi in 2 days
Varanasi is a beautiful and historic city in India, with a rich cultural heritage and spiritual significance. If you have only two days to explore Varanasi, here’s a suggested itinerary that covers some of the city’s major attractions:
- Start your day by witnessing the sunrise at the ghats of Varanasi, particularly at Assi Ghat, Dasaswamedh Ghat or Manikarnika Ghat. You can take a boat ride on the Ganges to experience the beauty of the sunrise.
- After the boat ride, visit Kashi Vishwanath Temple, one of the most famous and revered temples in Varanasi.
- Later, visit the Bharat Kala Bhavan Museum, which has an extensive collection of ancient and medieval Indian art, including sculptures, paintings, and textiles.
- In the evening, attend the Ganga Aarti ceremony at Dasaswamedh Ghat, where you can witness the priests offering prayers to the river Ganges, accompanied by music and fire rituals.
- Start your day with a visit to Sarnath, located about 10 km from Varanasi. This is the place where Buddha gave his first sermon, and it is a significant Buddhist pilgrimage site. You can visit the Sarnath Museum, Dhamekh Stupa, and the ruins of the ancient monasteries.
- After returning from Sarnath, you can explore the narrow lanes of Varanasi’s old city, which are filled with shops selling handicrafts, jewelry, and local street food.
- Visit the Ramnagar Fort, located across the river Ganges, which is a magnificent fort with a museum that displays the collections of the royal family of Varanasi.
- End your day with a peaceful boat ride on the Ganges, where you can witness the magical sight of the evening aarti ceremonies and floating diyas.
Varanasi is a city with a lot to offer, and this itinerary is just a suggestion. You can tailor it according to your interests and preferences.
Places to visit in Varanasi with girlfriend
- The Ghats of Varanasi: The Ghats are the famous steps leading down to the Ganges river, and it is the most visited tourist spot in Varanasi. You can take a boat ride at sunset or sunrise to see the Ghats in their full glory.
2. Kashi Vishwanath Temple: The Kashi Vishwanath Temple is a famous Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Shiva. It is located in the heart of Varanasi and is considered to be one of the most important temples in India.
3. Sarnath: Sarnath is a Buddhist pilgrimage site located just outside of Varanasi. It is the place where Lord Buddha gave his first sermon after attaining enlightenment. The site has many temples and stupas, and it is a great place to spend the day with your girlfriend.
4. Ramnagar Fort: Ramnagar Fort is a historic fort located on the banks of the Ganges river. It is a beautiful place to visit with your girlfriend and learn about the history of Varanasi.
5. Banaras Hindu University: Banaras Hindu University is one of the oldest and most prestigious universities in India. It has a beautiful campus with many gardens and historic buildings, and it is a great place to walk around with your girlfriend.
6. Assi Ghat: Assi Ghat is a popular ghat in Varanasi and is known for its peaceful and serene atmosphere. It is a great place to sit and watch the Ganges river flow by with your girlfriend.
These are just a few of the many places to visit in Varanasi with your girlfriend. Varanasi is a beautiful city with a rich culture and history, and there is so much to see and do here.